QR codes are all around us – you can see them on websites, printed ads and even murals, inviting you to discover where they lead with just a scan. People use them for everything from providing people with a quick way to visit their website or download a mobile app, to leaving hidden text messages for their loved ones.
Even if you can’t quite put your finger on what it is exactly, we are positive that you’ve used a QR code at least once. If nothing else, when you tried to login to WhatsApp’s desktop app.
Statista conducted a study on QR code usage, according to which in 2018 an estimated 9.76 million households scanned QR codes in the U.S. alone, with usage being predicted to rise to about 11 million by 2020. If you find this surprising, consider the fact that QR code transactions in China in 2016 were worth 1.65 trillion USD!
Many companies are well aware that QR codes are here to stay, and one of the leading innovators that work actively to make them accessible to everyone is QR Code Generator (goQR.ME).
What is a QR Code?
It’s also known as a 2D barcode, although the term is not the most precise one because, as the name suggests, barcode consists of bars, while QR code is made of pixels (also called modules). The difference between your regular-looking barcode (one-dimensional) and a two-dimensional one is that the 2D data is not showcased only horizontally, from left to right, but vertically as well.
Although QR codes had their start in the automotive industry, due to their excellent memory capacity and impressive error correction capabilities – you can still read them even if 30% of their surface gets scratched – they spread to other industries as well. What made them truly enter the commercial stage, however, was the widespread use of mobile devices. The reason is simple – modern portable devices can not only read QR software but can also capture QR symbols with their cameras on the go. No more typing – all the information is just a snap away!
Some Types of QR Codes
QR codes can be used to communicate different types of information, they can, for example, encode a phone number making it easier for person scanning the code to dial your customer service. Moreover, the QR you want to use differ based on the information you want to convey. Here are some of them:
- URL: QR codes with website address – The most popular type of a QR code is the one that has only the website’s address as its content. Once a person scans the code, they can visit the website immediately, without knowing the URL in advance and without the nuisance of having to enter it manually.
- URL (editable): Dynamic QR codes – The main difference between a dynamic and static QR code is the fact that data encoded in a dynamic code can be changed and updated at any time, as opposed to the information contained in a static one, which can’t be edited once the code is published.
- Design/Custom/Art QR codes: QR code with a logo/custom image – This type of code is mostly used for branding. The brand’s logo is placed on top of a regular QR code and the image you want people to associate with your brand is the first thing everybody sees when they come across the code.
- SMS: SMS QR code – If you opt for this particular type, then your QR code will contain an SMS message, which will be sent to a designated phone number as soon as someone scans it. This code type is frequently used in text message marketing when you want to prompt a user by automatically filling out the content and recipient number of a text message.
What Are the Benefits of QR Codes and When to Use Them?
Since they can convey various messages and perform a broad array of functions in just a matter of seconds, QR codes found their way into mobile marketing. Some of the reasons why businesses find them essential when it comes to reaching their audience are:
- Versatile – They can be applied to almost anything, from passing information, such as contact info, product details, or event dates, to organizing giveaways, public voting, or coupons – just name it!
- Customer engagement – When customers choose to engage with your brand by scanning the QR code, they are more involved and interested in your advertisement, business information, or marketing message. Due to the customers’ active response, it’s no surprise then that QR codes are often used as a means of getting feedback about certain services or products you have in your offer. Also, you have direct contact with consumers (there’s no intermediary), which can do wonders both when it comes to acquiring new and retaining old customers.
- Ease of access – Almost everybody today carries a mobile phone, or some kind of a portable device every time they leave the house. In fact, it is estimated that the number of smartphone users will surpass 5 billion in 2019. What this means for businesses worldwide is that they need to SMART UP as soon as possible. Think of it this way – several billions of people can access your content at any time and from any place by simply snapping a picture of your QR code. Convenient, no?
- Measurable success – QR code allows you to register and count the number of code scans and site visits, as well as to identify when the code was scanned, what the location was, and which device was used in the process. You can trace and measure every step of your marketing campaign, which will help you pinpoint the campaign’s potential problems and weaknesses.
QR Code Generator
goQR.ME is an online QR Code Generator that works on a freemium basis and makes QR codes accessible to everyone with a working internet connection. The QR Code Generator software handles many types of content, from URLs to vCards, emails and plain text. Like Pacman, it chomps up your content and stores it into the code as binary data, ready for download.
QR Code Generator is an excellent tool for marketing professionals and businesses, and is also a fun and creative way for individuals to store different types of content.
How to Create a QR Code
To create a QR code using goQR just pick a content type and enter your URL, text, contact information or geolocation. Tip: if you’re converting plain text, try limiting yourself to up to 300 characters! An 8-bit QR code is generated instantaneously as a live preview and you just need to hit the Download button to get your QR code. Another option is to embed the QR code on your website as HTML code or share it via social media.
Besides basic image dimensions, goQR offers print quality high-resolution images. Download QR codes as EPS and SVG vector graphics for free and print away. Other formats include high-resolution GIF, JPEG and PNG raster graphics.
The goQR service provides extensive customization options, such as adding logos, colors, and creating custom made QR codes for a quoted price.
QR Code Generator is the perfect tool for professional marketing efforts and, as such, it offers innovative branding solutions. It goes without saying that behind every successful business stands a unique and carefully thought-through brand that can be easily differentiated from the crowd. GoQR can give you exactly that – the ability to create a distinctive code by embedding logos and images in the middle of QR codes and changing the foreground and background colors.
Additionally, goQR.me have partnered up with VisualLead to offer custom designed QR codes. Users have the opportunity to walk on the wild side of creativity and design one-of-a-kind QR codes that will make them, or their business, stand out.
Code Management with QR-Server
The people behind the QR Code Generator have also created a paidQR-Server management platform, which helps marketing professionals create dynamic QR codes. These are editable codes which can address changes to the content transmitted through the code.
For example, if you generate a QR code for your website and change the URL, QR-Server can adjust your code for the new web address. This is a sensational feature to have when you possess printed marketing material that would otherwise end up in the trash can. This also means you can adjust your marketing campaigns on the go, without worrying about losing existing resources.
The QA-Server is entirely an online service and no installation is needed. All QR codes you generate are stored on your account, while the system can provide real-time data analysis of all dynamic QR codes. This way you can track and analyze essential data, such as the number of scans by time, geo-location, and system used.
How Is Your Privacy Protected?
The content you type in and the binary data stored are TLS/SSL encrypted during transmission. This is the same technology that encrypts credit card information during online transactions.
With the increase of smartphone users, we can expect a spike in the use of QR codes. They are mobile-friendly and more relevant than ever. They wipe away the border between digital and material and might just be the digital marketing experts’ Excalibur! So, what are you wainting for? 😉