Having a multitude of interests, coupled with a constant thirst for new knowledge, is what defines successful people. However, the desire to share that knowledge with others is what helps a person grow, generate new ideas, stay motivated, and increase their productivity.
After all, the more you share the more you get in return.
That’s why you should meet Alejandro Benito-Santos – a student who draws his inspiration from passing his knowledge onto others.
Who is Alejandro Benito-Santos?
Alejandro Benito-Santos has many roles – he is a PhD student, research assistant, and lecturer all rolled into one. As a Computer Engineering graduate with a Master’s Degree in Intelligent Systems, Alejandro decided to apply for PhD studies at the same university.
Alejandro has a variety of interests and constantly strives to expand his knowledge. He is passionate about visual analytics, human-computer interaction, education, statistics, and design. Apart from learning about those particular subjects at the university, he understands the importance of getting hands-on experience. That’s why he spent some time freelancing as a UX designer and a mobile developer.
Currently, Alejandro is working on his thesis “Supporting Methodology Transfer in Problem-Driven Visualization Research via Literature-Based Discovery”. Apart from being a student, Alejandro is thrilled to be able to try his luck as a teacher as well. It all began when he was asked to teach a course Human-Computer Interaction and Introduction to Python Programming for Statisticians. He absolutely loved it and it didn’t take long for him to become an adjunct professor at the University of Salamanca and further hone his teaching skills.
What does his personal website say about him?
As someone who is interested in the digital world and design, no wonder Alejandro has his personal website – alexbs.me.
The first glance at the website reveals three things about Alejandro.
Firstly, if we look at the name of the website – alexbs.me – it’s clear that Alejandro is looking for a way to introduce his unique persona to the online world. To let us know who he is and what he’s all about, both professionally and personally. And there’s no better, more original, and more individual way to do so than to use a highly-personalized .ME domain. Choosing such a personal digital home allows you to create an online brand that showcases the real you. Talk about a genuine online presence!
Secondly, the content of the website tells us that Alejandro is very proud of his skills and achievements. He has all his major professional accomplishments, projects, and publications listed and clearly visible across the website. The design is simple and the entire site is easy to navigate, which lets us focus on his CV. This enables potential clients and future employers to get a clear picture of what they can expect from Alejandro.
Finally, the design and structure of the website, together with the black and white color scheme, reveals that Alejandro is into minimalism. He likes a straightforward design, basic colors, and simple structure. With nothing to distract us, we can definitely direct our attention to what truly matters – him.
Which personal website elements he decided to focus on?
When creating his personal webpage, Alejandro made sure to include all the website elements essential for an awesoME site:
- A detailed About Me page, which allows him to introduce himself to the rest of the online world. It features all the necessary information, including basic personal information, educational background, professional achievements, skillset, and interests. Alejandro used a bold font to highlight the most important aspects of what he has to offer.
- A Projects page lists all the projects he’s worked on so far. Once future clients see his previous work examples they’ll be able to determine whether he’s a good fit for their needs or not.
- A thorough Publications page, which contains Alejandro’s previously published articles and links to abstracts when possible. Such a display serves to establish Alejandro’s authority and position him as a true expert in his field.
- A Teaching page features an overview of his previous teaching experience. A quick glance is enough to conclude just how much he loves teaching and how valuable and precious each experience is to him.
- A thoughtfully designed CV page which contains all Alejandro’s personal and professional achievements needed to target his specific niche. Having a portfolio on your personal website helps potential employers see all the amazing references and skills you possess.
- Contact information is located on the bottom of the About Me page, together with links to Alejandro’s social media profiles. This allows fellow educators, computer engineer aficionados, developers, and clients to get in touch with him in just a click.
Why is a personal website important when creating a strong online personal brand?
When creating a personal brand, one of the first steps you need to take is to learn to manage your own online reputation. And there’s no better way to do it than owning your own content.
By creating and publishing your own content, you’re creating a space that you can call your online home. A space that allows you to be who you are. A space that enables you to stand out from the crowd and highlight your skills.
A personal website will also allow you to control the information you publish, when, and how, as well as how that information will be presented. You can play with details, colors, design, and layout as much as you like. The main idea is to create a page that will successfully embody your unique persona. Once you manage to do so, you’ll be one step closer to building an amazing personal brand you deserve.
So, is taking control of your digital footprint important?
The short answer – yes.
The long answer? Absolutely!
By taking control of your digital footprint, you pave the way for creating a strong online presence and a one-of-a-kind personal brand, both crucial if you want to take your career to the next level.
Alejandro Benito-Santos did a brilliant job at it. All that we can do is wish him luck in all his future endeavours!