Southeastern Europe is, “startup and investment”-wise, pretty unexplored area. It’s a shame actually, because the SEE region is full of great people doing amazing things! However, things are changing and every country now has some great idea or a project which makes the difference. Eppur si muove, said an old guy once.
WebAward.Me is a one-day event that takes place in Sarajevo, capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The organizers form a committee which picks out the best websites in the country from 16 different categories. This year an additional category has been introduced – the best Facebook fan page (the company had to be based in Bosnia and Herzegovina).
Let’s start with Web Day, which took place at the same day and place as WebAward.Me. Web Day was the more informative part of the event. It featured five speakers and a panel discussion at the end. I had the pleasure of being one of them, and the rest were:
- Kenan Torlak – Cloud and Google Apps;
- Enis Šahinović – Web Matrix;
- Brian King – Mozilla and the new web challenge;
- Nikola Krajačić – How to pitch your project to the media;
- Zlatan Imamović – iService’s take on Apple.
A panel discussion topic was about the importance of digital media; Maher Al-Osta, Mirza Ustamujić and Tarik Kapetanović discussed about it. When the Web Day finished, it was time to transform from conference-style event to a gala event – the WebAward.Me was about to start!
WebAward.Me had open applications for a long time now and when the time came, the jury sat down and voted for category winners, Grand Prix 2012 award, Vision 2012 award and Balkan WebAward.
The winners are (by category):
- Media – http://www.brainstorming.ba;
- Brand Web – http://www.tanjir.ba;
- Education – http://www.alu.unsa.ba;
- Ecology – http://www.letsdoit.ba;
- Finance – http://www.euroherc.ba;
- Public Administration – http://www.fzzz.ba;
- Automotive – http://www.toyota.ba;
- Culture – http://www.the-paint-club-bh.com;
- Health – http://www.mojaklinika.ba;
- Fashion – http://www.bellissima.ba;
- NGO – http://www.infohouse.ba;
- Personal Web – http://www.dubioza.org;
- Social Community – http://www.pik.ba;
- Sports – http://www.sportsport.ba;
- Tourism – http://www.city.ba;
- Corporate – http://www.hteronet.ba;
Personally, I had a great time being a part of this event in Sarajevo. It’s always a pleasure to see young and creative people at work – doing their best for their local environment, instead of grumbling and doing nothing. So, if you want to change something in your community, inspire yourself with WebAward.Me and do something!