If there had been any doubt about the importance of migrating a business from the offline to the online world, 2020 has eliminated that uncertainty. Companies that have been postponing digital transformation had to change to survive and we witnessed almost an unprecedented growth in e-commerce, online delivery, remote workforce and, ultimately, domain name registrations. Similarly, we at the .ME Registry acted quickly and made certain processes related to our products, and primarily to premium domains, (more) automated and user-friendly.
Our Premium Domain Program, designed in 2009 with the aim of increasing and promoting high-quality content on .ME domains did live up to the expectations (some of the alumni are Facebook, Google, Visa, and PayPal). Due to the organically growing demand for premium domains, we had to change our approach. This is why on March 4th, 2020 we made the majority of our .ME premium domains available to anyone, no questions asked.
What does this mean? It means that you can go to your registrar of choice (see the list here) and, assuming that they offer .ME premium domains, register whatever domain you want in less than a minute. Was it a good decision? In hindsight, it was a GREAT decision made at the right moment – when the market for premium domains and the perception of .ME extension among the general public matured. Today, a bit more than a year after the launch, our revenue from premium domains increased by more than 220%.
Premium Domain Sales – facts and figures
The data below applies to the period from March 4th, 2020 until March 31st, 2021 and contains the facts and figures on .ME premium domains created with registrars excluding .ME Premium Domain Program.
- The total numbers of premium .ME domains registered – 79
- Total revenue – 453,500 EUR. [*excluding the registrar’s margin which is usually from 15% to 25%]
- Notable companies that registered .ME premium domains include Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (Cartoon.ME), 3M Company (3m.ME), BP P.L.C. (Bp.ME) and Koch Industries, Inc. (Koch.ME)
- Some of the premium domains are already up and running. These are: Pass.ME (app for verifying COVID test results via QR code), Wonder.ME (virtual meeting space where users can move freely between the rooms), MC.ME (Chinese messaging app), Retail.ME (German platform that connects manufacturers to retailers), Enable.ME (financial strategy and coaching service), Now.ME (online meeting management app by Frameable)
- The top registrars – GoDaddy (29 domains), NameCheap (13 domains), Gandi (6 domains), CSC Global (5 domains) and Key-Systems, PSI-USA and Name.com (4 domains each)
- Top countries – the United States (48 domains), Proxy (11 domains), Canada (4 domains), Switzerland (3 domains) and the United Kingdom (3 domains)
- The total number of two-character domains – 15
- Total number of two-character domains – 7
To download the infographic on .ME Premium Domain Report, please click here.
Which .ME premium domains are still available?
Initially, we released almost 2,800 premium .ME domains in the registrar channel. A number of these premium domains is still available for direct registration. Most attractive premium domain categories include:
- The one-letter and two-letter domains: X.ME, Z.ME, P.ME, VR.ME and TV.ME
- One-digit and two-digit domains: 0.ME, 8.ME, 9.ME, 88.ME and 99.ME
- Keyword domains like: Hosting.ME, Games.ME, Homes.ME, Credit.ME, Casinos.ME, and Auctions.ME.
- Short domains: 4G.ME, Pos.ME, Ins.ME and Are.ME
- Domains that carry a meaning in languages other than English such as Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Bulgarian, Serbian, Croatian etc. These include .ME names such as Casa.ME, Empleo.ME, Invita.ME, Exito.ME, Podsjeti.ME and Pobedi.ME
- Call-to-action domains comprised of a verb in English and .ME extension: Carry.ME, Improve.ME, Promote.ME, Refresh.ME and Include.ME
Want to check if a premium .ME domain is still available? Run a search at our homepage or in the box bellow.